In the Netherlands we have a classic snack food were we roll a sausage in puff pastry. I love savory snacks and appetizers so I always wanted to recreate it. However, I toughed it was to easy to just put a vegan sausage in the puff pastry and call it a day. So, I experimented with some vegetables and beans (makes it a little bit more healthy as well).
Ingredients for around 8-10 bites
- Sheets of puff pastry (I used a plant-based store bought one and used half the package (150 gr)).
- 150 gr sweet potato (one medium sweet potato)
- 50 gr chickpeas
- 50 ml plant based milk
- a little bit more for coating
- 1 tbsp of curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs of poppy seeds (or use sesame seeds)
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (356 °F).
- Clean and peel the sweet potato. Add them to a pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, drain and rinse the chickpeas (if you are using a canned). But them in a bowl and mash them with a fork or potato masher until it becomes some sort of a paste.
- Check with a knife to see if the sweet potato is soft enough. Drain them, and add them to the bowl and mash it all together.
- Add the plant based milk, curry powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper (to taste) and mix them well.
- Unroll the puff pastry and cut them in 8 cm x 12 cm (3,15 inch x 4,72 inch).
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling and place them on them on the edge of the square. Make sure you leave some space at the edge.
- Cover the filling with the remaining puff pastry. Make sure to secure the edges (you can use a fork for this).
- Brush some plant-based milk on top and sprinkle some poppy seeds on top.
- Place on a baking sheet on parchment paper (or use a silicon mat).
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and the puff pastry becomes golden.
- Let them cool, but serve them warm. Enjoy!
- You can substitute the poppy seeds with sesame seeds as well.
- The sides of the rolls are open. But if you want to make sure the top doesn’t crack open, you can slice an opening with a knife.